Workshops at a glance
Our Getting to the point® training includes baseline, specialist and public workshops.
- sign up for one of our 4 public workshops as an individual
- host a 1- or 2-day workshop for 10 of your staff
- run a larger in-house program for your whole team or organisation.
Before a workshop, our expert trainers review samples of each participant’s workplace writing. During the workshop, participants can apply what they learn to their samples.
All our training participants receive a comprehensive manual, which covers document structure and written expression. It uses interactive activities and best practice examples to boost writing skills.
Custom workshops for organisations
We have run Baseline training for almost 30,000 professionals around Australia.
Our 2-day Ministerial and Policy Writing Baseline is our most sought after and successful workshop. We can tailor a Baseline to suit your business sector and writing genre, such as:
- audit writing
- board paper writing
- communications writing
- report writing.
We also offer our Plain English Essentials workshop, which is a 1-day express module that teaches the core concepts of plain English.
Public workshops for individuals
We offer 4 public workshops for anyone who wants to improve their workplace writing. Each of these uses proven plain English tools to help you write clear, concise and engaging content:
- Plain English Essentials (1 day): Learn core plain English concepts for your everyday work.
- Grammar and Punctuation Essentials (1 day): Take an extended journey through the world of style.
- Web Writing Essentials (1 day): Explore how to adapt your content for a digital platform.
- Plain Language for Lawyers (3 hours): Apply our techniques to craft clear, client-focused advices and transaction documents.
We also offer more advanced and specialist workshops for those organisations who need them.
- 1-day specialist workshops with more advanced tools, such as for staff who edit and review the work of others
- 3-hour legal training sessions, including Drafting in Plain Language, Writing Persuasive Advices and Plain Language for Lawyers
- 1-hour Plain English for Professionals presentation on plain English and its benefits.
Each legal training session earns 3 points for continuing professional development.
We’re adapting the way that we work to help keep people safe and play our part in the current crisis.
Our training services will continue, but we are now delivering them digitally through a virtual classroom.
Please see our COVID-19 fact sheet for more details, or call us on 02 9290 1288 to discuss any questions.
Our clients say
I loved this workshop from start to finish. Activities were relevant and participants could ask many, many questions.
Policy specialist, water utility
Congratulations on switching to remote delivery so seamlessly, and creating a 'virtual group dynamic'.
Officer, state government agency
I've learnt that by providing too much detail, I am burying my core message. And that instead of impressing my reader, I am confusing them.
Project officer, land development corporation