Copyright policy and intellectual property terms
At 11 August 2020
Plain English Foundation Pty Ltd (PEF/we/our/us) owns and runs the www.plainenglishfoundation.com website (our website/site).
As a website user (you/your), you agree to:
These terms have the following sections:
- We have copyright over our intellectual property
- We license our training material and products only for your personal use
- You can't use our content for your own purpose
- We own our free writing tools so please acknowledge us
- Our copyright is protected
Unless otherwise shown, we own all the intellectual property on our website. This includes all copyrightable material and products, such as our:
- writing tools, guidelines, checklists, quizzes, examples and edits
- other resources, including our PowerPoint presentations
- designs, images and branding
- inventions including databases, compilations and codes
- online information, data and resources including our software, instructions, internet-based services, support services and related printed or electronic materials.
Unless otherwise shown, we also own and control all rights, including copyright, in our website content and compilation. This includes text, graphics, logos, button icons, video images, audio clips and the related software.
You also cannot use or reproduce our trademarks, including our logos, without us agreeing in writing beforehand.
You can only view, download, display and print our material for its permitted use and in an unaltered form, in line with our terms and policies.
Understanding our copyright
We own the intellectual property rights in our Getting to the point® training material and our free writing tools and resources, unless these state otherwise.
When you buy training from us, we will supply you with related training material. As part of your purchase agreement with us, you agree:
- to only use our training materials to participate in the training and for your subsequent personal reference
- not to copy, record, stream, distribute or assign our training materials in any form to another person or entity.
Licensing our intellectual property for personal use only
We grant you a non-exclusive, non-transferrable licence to use our Getting to the point® training materials only:
- to participate in the training that you purchased from us
- for your subsequent personal reference.
Not allowing you to use our intellectual property in any other way
This licence does not give you the right to amend or adapt our training material for other purposes or:
- communicate or publish it to a third party, including the public, your employer or a related body
- copy, record, photograph or stream it in any domain
- post it on a website or on social media
- manufacture or sell it, or hire it out
- use it to develop a product with the same primary function
- refer to it without attributing our ownership
- otherwise exploit it or perform an act that would infringe our intellectual property rights.
You also cannot adapt our free writing tools and other resources in any way and for any purpose, including a commercial purpose. You agree to attribute a free writing tool or other resources that we supply for such use and to give the link to the host page.
If you breach our terms or policies, we can cancel your site registration and take action against you for breaching our intellectual property ownership rights.
We remain the owner of all our interest in our intellectual property and knowledge in our products and services.
You cannot reproduce, broadcast, republish, display (including electronically), copy, transmit, stream, record, post, distribute, show or play in public our intellectual property or our website content.
You also cannot use any of our content:
- for any commercial purpose or sale
- to adapt or change in any way
- to create a derivative work, for any purpose
- to develop a product with the same primary function.
You cannot place our copyrightable material on another website or a public forum for any purpose. This does not include our website material in the public domain and our free writing tools as we supply them and in line with 4.
You have no intellectual property rights and copyright ownership of our website products that you use or buy and our licence use restrictions in 2 apply.
Our licence use conditions in 2 also apply to our free writing tools and resources. You can use these only:
- for non-commercial purposes
- in the format we provide them in, including our branding and design
- if you attribute Plain English Foundation (with our website address or an active link) as the copyright owner each time you use them.
If you download a free writing tool, you cannot otherwise reproduce, broadcast, stream republish, display (including electronically), copy, transmit, post, distribute, show or play it in public without meeting the above conditions.
You agree not to use a free writing tool or resource:
- for any commercial purpose
- to adapt or change it in any way
- to create a derivative work from it
- on another website or a public forum (but you can create a link to it on our site).
Our material is protected under the Australian Copyright Act 1968 and other relevant international copyright laws.
We endorse the Australian Copyright Council in promoting the benefits of copyright protection for a fairer, more creative and economically sustainable business culture.