We specialise in plain English writing training courses for businesses and government.
Getting to the point: This in-house training is tailored to your sector. Our signature 2-day workshops include report writing, technical writing, policy writing, ministerial writing, letter and email writing, and web writing.
Clear writing courses: Our 1-day open courses help professionals build writing skills. We run our public training in Sydney and cater for 3 skill levels: introductory, intermediate and advanced.
Our plain English editing services help to create more readable, engaging and effective documents.
The Foundation's expert editors draw on the latest research in readability and plain language for:
- in-depth editing of complex material like reports, contracts, policies and guidelines
- template development like briefing notes, letters and procedures
- writing evaluations of individual documents, sets of reports or whole websites.
We can help your team or your entire organisation.
Building our community
The Foundation champions everyone's right to transparent and ethical public language.
Our executive director, Neil James (or Dr Plain English), heads our community program.
Follow our activities through social media, and our contributions, including:
- events we sponsor, like the international PLAIN and Clarity conferences, and the Sydney Writers' Festival
- articles and interviews about language
- public speeches on clear communication.
Clarity 2014 in Belgium
We're excited to be heading to Belgium in November for the biennial conference on plain legal language hosted by Clarity.
- What factors influence success when you are trying to reform the writing culture in government?
- How can you convince lawyers to use clearer language?
Clear writing courses
Boost your writing skills at our 1-day courses.
1 Writing in Plain English
Learn the core concepts of plain English in our introductory course.
2 Writing for Readers
Learn to balance the needs of your different readers in our intermediate course.
3 Writing to Persuade
Learn to persuade readers to your point of view in our advanced course.
Free writing tools
Our editors have created a toolbox to help you draft clear and compelling documents.
Sample edits and top tips
Browse our samples to see what a difference clarity can make.
Or try our top tips for writing in plain English. You'll be a whiz in no time.
Test your grammar and punctuation in our short style quiz.
Read about plain language and how we promote it in the community.
On air and in print
Search our library of interviews, articles and speeches by Neil James.
Learn about our local and international activities.
Keep up to date with our research and ideas.
© Alan Moir